It’s never too early to start asking yourself some questions about your chosen degree and where you want it to take you. Here are some to get you started:
- Do you have any preferred employers in mind?
- Do you like the sound of any specific positions or roles?
- What key skills have you developed/will develop?
- Where is your preferred location? Are you willing to move?
- What do you expect to get paid?
- Who is your competition?
Once you’ve figured out your expectations, turn the questions around and think like an employer:
- What final year students or graduates are they looking for?
- What roles do they have on offer?
- What key skills are they looking for in your field?
- Where are they based, and where are they likely to place successful applicants?
- What pay will they offer?
To make things a little easier, here are some places to start your research:
- First Step, our industry guidance program, puts you in touch directly with industry experts who want to assist you to meet your career goals. Simply register, search from the list of industry professionals and ask away!
- Visit Curtin Life and then complete the How Do I Get To Know My Industry module on Curtin Challenge.
- Explore Graduate Profiles, Glassdoor and your relevant peak bodies and associations.
- Finally, think about getting linked up via LinkedIn.