Mid-year break means some of you will have finished your year, while the rest of you will be halfway though. Whatever stage you are at, you’ll still want to consider what you’ve achieved this semester and prepare for what’s coming up next.
Once all that planning and diary management is out of the way, stop and take a minute to reflect on your career goals…
Career Goal Checklist:
- Are you still enjoying what you are doing?
- Are you doing the best you can?
- Do you know what you can do with your degree?
- Are you confident that your skills and personality fit your field?
- Are you poised to explore/apply for relevant jobs, seek out work experience, or make industry connections?
If not, why not?
Try and get into the habit of reviewing your career plans regularly and making sure that you’re happy with your career direction.
Always have contingency plans, you might not get to your dream job immediately. You may have to approach your main career goal in a roundabout direction. Be patient but be proactive.
The most important thing is to know that you:
- Still enjoy most – if not all – of what you are learning
- Feel you’re making progress
- Are happy to try and a) test out your new skills and knowledge, and/or b) expand on your new skills and knowledge.
The only way you can know this is through continual self-reflection!
Try out our Drive Your Career module for inspiration.