In preparation for next week’s Careers For Tomorrow Disrupted Industry Events, we thought we’d provide some networking tips…
Most people know the value of networking, but knowing and doing can be two very different things! being to able to confront potentially awkward social situations to reap the rewards of networking can seem too daunting for many.
Rather than miss the opportunities available through networking, here are a few suggestions on how to reap the rewards:
- Networking is not about asking for a job, it’s about building relationships that could be mutually beneficial in the future
- Do some research first – we talk about research a lot, but it really is the best way to build rapport and get the most out of the experience
- Think about what your networking objectives are – Do you want to build contacts? Find out about career paths? Learn about an organisation? Have a clear idea of what you want so you can confidently guide the chat
- Remember the people you’ll have the opportunity to meet are just people – be friendly and listen to their stories, everyone will have something unique to share
- Be mindful of people’s time – thank them and, if you like, ask if you can follow up with them in the near future
Here are some questions you could use to break the ice (remember, think about what you’d actually like to know and what’s going to help you get closer to where you want to be):
- How do you spend a typical work day/week?
- What kinds of problems do you deal with?
- What are your major responsibilities?
- What do you find most/least satisfying about your job?
- What is the competition for jobs like in your industry?
- What do you look for in new graduates applying for roles with your organisation?
- Is there a typical career pattern for new graduates in your industry?
- Which areas of your industry are expanding and are likely to offer opportunities in the future?
WIN AN AMAZING PRIZE!
By attending one of the daily Industry Events you have the chance to win a Halo Rooftop Tour at Optus Stadium double pass! There’s one double pass to give away each day.
- You must attend an Industry Event and networking session on campus, Monday 16 August to Thursday 19 August.
- Fill out the entry form, including your name, student ID and email.
- Only one entry per person per day.
- Maximum of four entries allowed throughout the week, by attending each session in person.
The prize draws will take place at 12pm Friday 20 August, with winners to by notified via email.