Wow, here we are again, the start of another year. Looking back, how would you write your ‘year in review’? 2021 may not have exceeded your expectations, but hopefully it still ticked some boxes for you.
It’s good to look back and do a little self-reflection, and to celebrate your wins and contemplate your losses. Once that’s done, it’s time to look forward and to start preparing for 2022. But how exactly? I’m glad you asked!
There are lots of things you can be doing over the break to set yourself up for success. Investing in your personal and professional development is never a waste of time. Not only will it help you from a career perspective, dedicating time every day solely devoted to you can also enhance your overall well-being. In fact, did you know that there is a direct correlation between effective career development and your physical and mental health?
On that note, here are some top tips to see you soaring into the New Year!
- Lock in time every day to do something that makes you happy. Actually schedule it into your diary like any other commitment. It can be anything you like – just do it!
- If you’re feeling a little uncertain about your career direction or your current course of study, have a look at our online Explore Your Options Challenge, especially the ‘Self-Awareness’ and ‘Decision-Making Strategies’ modules.
- Research the industry you’re seeking to enter when you graduate. A great place to start is with our Career Guides – they’re available in UniHub’s Resource Library. Just search ‘Career Guide Physiotherapy’, for example. These guides include information on possible career paths, labour markets, and job search strategies as well as links to relevant professional associations and organisations. To further enhance your industry knowledge, there’s also the ‘Know Your Industry’ module in our online Explore Your Options Challenge.
- Work on developing your professional identity. There are various modules in our online Skilled Professional Challenge that can help you along the way, including ‘Your Personal Brand’, ‘Boost Your Professionalism’ and ‘Drive Your Career’. In addition, dedicate some time each week to being active on LinkedIn and developing your profile. Quick tip – to learn more about the potential benefits of this professional networking platform, read our previous post around LinkedIn. While you’re at it, check out VMock Aspire – it helps you to strengthen your LinkedIn profile by giving you feedback on key elements.
- Revisit your resume – it’s a working document that you’ll need to continually update, refine and tailor over the duration of your professional life. If you’re not sure if yours is quite up to scratch, or just want some reassurance that it’s a solid document, check out V-Mock Resume. This is a 24-7 online resume-review tool that provides instant personalised feedback on your resume. Don’t you just love technology!
From the Curtin Careers Team, we hope you’re excited for the year ahead and look forward to seeing you in 2022.